Saturday, October 4, 2008

I can work out for 4 hours!

Yesterday, Saturday, October 4th, I had trainings all day at Lifetime Fitness. I am going to be teaching group fitness classes there. The trainings were more like workshops on the class formats. Each workshop is an hour long workout and then about 30 minutes of lecturing on the class afterwards. So, I did an hour of cycle, an hour of advanced weight training and an hour of Hip Hop. I was very fatigued and tired afterwards but I felt great. My blood sugars were great all day. I didn't even wear my pump unless I was eating and then I would take it off. I think I took in a total of 9 units of insulin the WHOLE DAY! Normally I take about 16-20. Anyway, after those 3 classes we had a 2 hour lecture to attend on heart rate training. The instructor asked if I would volunteer and I said yes. I didn't know what I was volunteering for. Well, I had to get up on a bike in front of everyone with a heart rate monitor on. She wanted to show everyone what their participants are going to look like in each zone. Zone 1 is easy- Zone 5 extreamley hard (only athletes go here). So I started riding the bike in Zone 1. Every couple minutes she would add resistance to my bike to make it harder. Eventually I got to Zone 4. I was dying! I could feel my blood sugar dropping. I was in front of about 60 people. I calmly asked the lady to hand me my black bag that was on the floor. I took out my glucose tabs and ate a couple. No big deal, I was fine. It came back up and I was able to finish this demo. It felt soooo good to have diabetes and prove to myself that I can do all of those things. I can workout for 4 hours and then do more. All the while managing my diabetes perfectly. BUT THEN, after I was done a bunch of instructors were like, "Rachel, whay did you volunteer for that! That was stupid, you can't do that to yourself, your gonna get sick." I wanted to punch them in the face! What do people think because I have diabetes I can't do anything. I want to tell them that I can probably do more than you can do because I'm 25 and your 40...ha! But one day I will be 40 with diabetes so I can't really say that, it will come back and bite me later. Anyway, it's just frustrating how uneducated people are about diabetes. It really put me down afterwards. I was on this high and enjoying that feeling of acomplishment and they just brought me down. So, when I got home I was inspired to put them in their place. I found this youtube video that I am going to send out to all of the instructors of several triathletes that do iron mans and they have type 1 diabetes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYI1fe7RMzQ I am also going to do this.. http://www.insulindependence.org/ragnar_2009.asp I am motivated to prove to people that I can do anything you can do... BETTER!

No comments: