Sunday, October 19, 2008

Diabetes is my friend

I normally have great control over my blood sugar. I rarely have readings over 200 and the most severe hypo I have had lately has been about 60. The past few days I have been super high. Almost every reading is in the 300's. I'm not sure what is going on. It may be bad insulin? It usually doesn't bother me. I just correct and move on. Yesterday, not so much. I am training for the Ragner Del Sol 24 hour relay so I am very committed to running at least 3 days per week. I had one really good run this week on Tuesday, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill. I was to sore to run on Wednesday from my Monday strength training workout. My readings were so high on Thursday it just wiped me out. I was to tired to workout. On Friday I fought through it and decided to run outside. About a mile into it I had to stop because my insertion was burning and irritating me. So, yesterday (Saturday) I had a lot to make up. I was over 300 all day which means I really should not be doing very intense exercise. I took more insulin and went to the gym. I got there and started running at 286. I figured it would come down. Well not only did it not come down, I started getting a horrible headache. I stopped running and jumped into a yoga class. BAD IDEA. The first 10 minutes we were inverted, which made my head hurt worse. I had to leave, I was almost in tears.

I went home and loaded up on insulin and Advil. Eventually I came down. Exerciseless:(

I had a football watching party that I went to last night. By the time I got there I was around 130ish. Pretty good. Finally. I pumped every little thing that I put in my mouth. I took in a total of 7 units during that party. That's a lot. I usually average about 15 units per day! When I left I was 308. I pumped more. Went to bed. Woke up at 2:30 a.m. and was 383. I pumped more. I woke up at 8:00a.m. and was 286. I pumped more. I woke up at 10:30 a.m. and was 60.

Talk about waking up on the wrong side of the bed.

When this happens it puts me in such a bad mood. I try so hard to be in control and do the right thing but sometimes no matter what I do, my body is not on my side.

I'm not mad at my Diabetes. I know this sounds weird but I feel like Diabetes is my friend. We are on the same side. She (diabetes) doesn't want to be here either. She is out of place. It is my body that I am mad at. For someone reason my body is the one that got Diabetes so it's my bodies fault. It is my body that I want to punish. That is why I fight it. Running sucks. It hurts my body to run, but I do it to get back at my body. When my readings are normal, I feel like Diabetes and I are a team, working against my body. But when I am 300 and can't fix it, I feel like we are losing and it pisses me off. It makes me not want to correct my 60 so my body will feel like crap. I know that's not the right thing to do. And no I didn't do that. But I did fix my cup of coffee first. :) So, diabetes is my friend.

1 comment:

Megs said...

That sounds like an extreme day! Are you going to talk to your doctor about it?